Motivational Interviewing Skills Learning Session
Enroll now to develop and practice intermediate and advanced Motivational Interviewing (MI) skills.
About the Course
Important: In order to attend, you must have basic knowledge of the skills, techniques and spirit of motivational interviewing. The course consists of 2 hours of pre and post-work, and 2 hours of live instructor-led training via Zoom.
Who Should Take This Course
This course was created for community health workers who have some knowledge of basic motivational interviewing skills and who want to practice basic and intermediate skills in a supportive environment.
If you have not attended a course on motivational interviewing in the past, we highly recommend that you take an introductory online course. Basic terms will not be reviewed during the live session, and you may not receive credit for the course if you are unable to participate. We have listed two options below that you can take if you are unfamiliar with motivational interviewing.
- How do I Help my Clients Make Changes to Improve Their Health?: This course was created for CHWs who work in a variety of fields.
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing: This course is adapted from the previous one and is geared towards those who work in the HIV field.
- The pre-work and post-work are required.
- The instructor-led portion of the course on Zoom is highly interactive, and learners must participate to complete it.
- Participants who arrive to the Zoom session without a microphone will be not be able to participate in the training and will be deactivated from the course. Please reach out ahead of time to make arrangements if you have never used your microphone on Zoom. No exceptions will be made on the day of the Zoom session
- Learners who do not complete all sections by one week after the session date will not receive credit.
By the end of this training, participants will have an opportunity to:
- Code exemplar MI sessions for effective use of OARS
- Practice ‘Defusing Discord’ (formerly ‘Rolling with Resistance’)
- Practice OARS techniques in role plays, based on current skill (novice vs advanced)
- Practice crafting complex reflections for hypothetical client statements
What you will need:
- Internet connection
- Audio and video capability
- The live portion of this training will be conducted over Zoom. Participants will view the computer screen and use their webcams and microphones to interact.
After successfully completing the course, learners may receive 4 hours of DSHS certified CHW CEUs. This includes 1 hour Knowledge Base, 1 hour Capacity Building Skills, 2 hours Interpersonal Skills.
Cardea is approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services to provide continuing CHW hours in Texas, Certification #44.
Here is the course outline:
1. Required Knowledge
Information you should know prior to attending the live session
Complete the Pre-Work in order to gain access to the live content.
3. Instructor Training
10- Noon Central Time Training Via Zoom
The last section of the training
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of Completion|
|Community Health Worker (CHW) TX|